Our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) was submitted to Reconciliation Australia for publishing on the 29th of June 2020. Our RAP consists of 22 actions that guide our commitment to reconciliation. Each action relates to relationships, respect and opportunities as they play out in the classroom, around the school and within the community.
Reconciliation Action Plan Vision
Our Vision for reconciliation is for our children, staff and community to:
- create and celebrate a community culture that continually represents equality and equity;
- acknowledge and accept our shared history and provide opportunities to learn more;
- actively dismantle negative race relations in order to build a future together;
- create opportunities for unity between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and other Australians within our community;
- actively engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples within our local community, in the alignment of Kerry Street Community Schools values, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge, cultural and spiritual perspectives; and
- actively provide opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives to be represented in every classroom.
Acknowledgement of Country
Kerry Street Community School acknowledges the strength, resilience and survival of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. We recognise their status as Traditional Custodians of the vast and beautiful land and seas across Australia, and the intergenerational injustices and impacts relating to land, cultures, languages, families and rights. We acknowledge the Whadjuk Nyungar people as the Traditional Owners of the Land on which our school is built, and we share our respects for their Elders past, present and emerging.