student writing


Kerry Street Community School welcomes suggestions and comments from parents and guardians and takes seriously any concerns and complaints that may be raised.  

What is a complaint?

A concern or complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction made to the school, related to our services or operations, or the complaints handling process itself, where a response is expected.

The vast majority of issues causing concern can be handled quickly and in an informal manner. We therefore ask that, where appropriate, you first raise your concern directly with the relevant staff member. Even if the issue is resolved informally, all staff are required to log issues, so we are able to identify any systemic issues arising and take appropriate remedial action.

If you have been unable to resolve a matter informally, or simply wish to make a formal complaint you can do so by any of the following means:

  1. In person to a staff member
  2. Provide details of the complaint via the ‘feedback’ form on our website.
  3. Sending an email  
  4. Writing a letter to the Principal 
  5. Telephoning the school

Our Concerns, Complaints, and Disputes Policy Statement leaflet can help you understand how to make a complaint.

Our full Concerns, Complaints and Disputes Policy and Procedure can be found on the School Policies page on our website. You are welcome to submit your feedback anonymously; please note, this may limit our ability to update you regarding progress and resolution of your concern.

Feedback Form

The Director General of the Department of Education is responsible for ensuring that the school observes the Registration Standards, including the standard about its complaints handling system. Any student, parent or community member is entitled to contact the Director General with concerns about how the school has dealt with a complaint. Information is available on the Department of Education website. While the Director General may consider whether the school has breached the Registration Standards, she does not have the power to intervene in a complaint or override the school’s decision.